Because of its large population, California has more accidents than any other state in the US. Los Angeles, the second-most populous city in the United States, is also located in California. The sheer volume of cars and drivers in California makes it an obvious hub for car accidents on a national scale.

California also has a high percentage of traffic deaths compared to other states. In 2020, roughly 3,260 people lost their lives in automobile-related mishaps. Only Texas, with almost 3,900 deaths, has a higher total than this.

California is one of the top three states in terms of the number of deaths caused by traffic accidents, with over 3,000 deaths each year. The majority of traffic fatalities, it is believed, could be avoided if drivers didn’t commit preventable errors like making poor decisions while driving, not paying attention to their surroundings, not using safety equipment, and driving while tired or impaired.

Details Surrounding an Auto Accident Scene

What steps should be taken following an accident? If there were casualties, stay at the scene until the police come unless you require immediate medical attention.

If it seems that no one was hurt and just property was damaged, you may leave the scene of the accident after giving your information to the relevant parties.

There is one essential caveat here: do not wait for the police to arrive if you have been injured and need rapid medical aid. Call the authorities yourself. Make the call to 911 as soon as possible, or have someone else make the call for you. If you are going to the hospital and someone else is driving you there, leaving your contact information with the person driving you is a good idea.

What Do to After a California Hit-and-Run Wreck

If you caused an accident that resulted in someone else’s injury and fled the scene, you might face hit-and-run charges. Consist of a maximum $10,000 fine and a maximum 1-year jail sentence (longer for significant injuries or fatalities).

In California, it is a misdemeanor to leave the scene of an accident without providing identification. Possible consequences include a $1,000 fine and/or jail time of up to six months.

In the event that the other motorist or drivers involved have already fled the area, you should contact the police. You have the right to claim against their insurance provider if the authorities successfully locate them. It is possible that the driver who caused the accident may never be identified, but if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage as well as comprehensive collision coverage, you may be able to collect damages under your own insurance policy.

Should You Move Your Car After a California Accident?

Finally, you are required to transfer your vehicle to the shoulder of the road or to another secure location if it is practicable. If automobiles obstruct the road, you or other people might be injured more severely.

Keep in mind that if there has been a death or someone has been seriously injured, you should wait for the police to come before trying to relocate any cars.

Exchanging Information After a California Crash

Once you’ve moved the cars (if necessary) and gotten the injured treatment, write down or take a picture of all plate numbers and Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN), if available, along with the year, make, model, and color of the other vehicle(s).

This data is necessary for filing a report with the DMV in California after an accident.

The vehicle identification number is often found on the registration and insurance. However, if the driver is not insured, it is wise to check it out for yourself. But do not attempt to get the VIN from the other driver’s vehicle if they refuse to cooperate.

If you have permission to look, the VIN is often located in two places: on the driver’s side dashboard (where it connects to the windshield) and inside the driver’s side door (near the latch). What’s more, the other driver’s license, insurance, and registration should be requested. Take photos of these documents if at all feasible. If not, just write down the numbers.

You should also, if possible, get in touch with anybody else who was there or saw what happened. If a police officer shows up, you should ask for and write down his or her name.

Regardless of who caused the collision, you and the other driver must exchange contact information. In addition, remember that if the authorities want to see your license, proof of insurance, or registration, you must comply.

Driving Refusing to Share Contact Details After a Wreck?

If you are involved in an accident and refuse to provide information to another motorist in California, you would be in violation of state law. A motorist who is found guilty of breaking this law will have to pay a $250 fine.

What’s more, misdemeanor or felony prosecution may be brought against a motorist who refuses to give information and departs the scene of an accident. Leaving the site of an accident without exchanging information with the other motorist is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in prison and a $1,000 fine if the accident merely caused property damage.

Once again, it is a crime for a motorist to leave the site of an accident if someone is injured or killed without giving their details. If the victim was not seriously hurt, a conviction might result in up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $10,000.

Meanwhile, a motorist who flees the scene of an accident in which someone was killed or seriously injured faces two to four years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. Finally, under California Vehicle Code, the fleeing driver faces up to five years in prison if it is determined that he or she was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the incident.

Call Beckerman Anderson After an Orange County Crash

The results may be disastrous when people are seriously hurt in car accidents. Many patients worry about how they will pay for treatment and provide for their families while they get well.

One option is to consult with an Orange County auto accident attorney from a law firm that focuses on personal injury cases. Personal injury lawsuits arising from car accidents are now the most common kind of case heard in American courts.

If you or a loved one has been in a vehicle accident, you should consult with attorneys who focus on such situations as soon as possible to ensure that your rights are protected to the fullest degree. Potential damages include medical costs, lost wages, property damage, and emotional distress. Call Beckerman Anderson at 949-409-4242 to speak with one of our car accident attorneys.