Self-Driving Cars or “Autonomous Vehicles” are a relatively new invention. But in their short existence, there have been high-profile accidents caused by self-driving cars that resulted in serious injuries and death. Self-Driving vehicle accidents have occurred due to operator error, driver inattention, lack of appropriate vehicle reaction, sensor failure, and autopilot problems. A common occurrence has been vehicle sensors failing to recognize and react to other vehicles, pedestrians, and bicyclists.
In cases where the vehicle’s technology was defective and caused the collision, the manufacturer of the vehicle could be legally responsible. If that is the case, then you can pursue the manufacturer, dealer, owner, and/or operator for your damages. You may be entitled to recover damages that include medical costs, property loss, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Call our personal injury lawyers for a free case review – (949) 409-4299.
A person can even suffer a severe injury in a low-speed car collision, such as a rear-end accident in a shopping center parking lot. Victims can sustain:
If you are hit by a Self-Driving vehicle be sure to protect yourself by documenting the accident. You should:
- Remain at the scene. Do not leave the accident scene unless you are injured and need medical care. If so, call 911.
- Take photos of the vehicles, license plates, and visible injuries.
- If possible, get the autonomous vehicle’s operator’s name, insurance information, address, and phone number.
- Get any passenger’s names and phone numbers.
- Get the names and phone numbers of any witnesses.
- After tending to your injuries, and before you speak with the insurance company or the truck company, you should consult with an attorney. Contact our attorneys at 949-409-4299.