Santa Monica, CA (November 16, 2023) – According to an official with the Santa Monica Police Department, a bicyclist was injured in a car accident on Friday, November 10th in the area of 19th Street and Idaho Avenue. This is the intersection’s second accident involving a cyclist in as many weeks.
Reports show that a driver was heading westbound along Idaho Avenue as the bicyclist rode southbound down 19th Street. For reasons that have yet to be determined, the driver broadsided the lefthand side of the cyclist, knocking him into the roadway. The rider was taken to a local medical facility for treatment of his injuries, which included at least four broken ribs.
The driver of the striking vehicle stayed on the scene. Officers have said they do not currently suspect impairment but the Santa Barbara Police Department has not yet concluded their investigation into the accident.
Causes of California Bicycle Accidents
There are many different factors that can contribute to bicycle accidents in California. The most frequent negligent behaviors that lead to these incidents are:
- Speeding: Drivers who disregard the posted speed limit often fail to notice cyclists trying to cross the street
- Limited Visibility: Most bicycle accidents happen at night. Limited visibility and a higher number of drunk drivers make roadway conditions especially hazardous for those who ride
- Failure to Signal: When a driver fails to use their turn indicators, a bicycle rider trying to cross the road has no warning and can walk right into a car’s path
- Driving Under the Influence: Driving while intoxicated is a leading cause of road accidents statewide
- Driving While Distracted: This includes using a cell phone to make phone calls or send text messages, eating, drinking, reaching for objects, or any other activity that takes a driver’s focus off of the road
- Failure to Yield: When a driver fails to yield the right of way to a cyclist, pedestrian, or another vehicle at an intersection, serious accidents are often the result
Contact the law firm today of Beckerman Anderson online or by phone at (949) 409-4299 in order to speak with a skilled and experienced California bicycle accident lawyer concerning your case. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay nothing out of pocket or upfront. We don’t get paid unless you do, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Note: These posts have been generated through the use of outside and secondary sources for Beckerman Anderson. These sources include news stories, police reports, and first-hand accounts of accidents and the injuries involved. As a result, we have not been able to independently verify all of the details surrounding each accident that we post about. If you see any information that is not factual or is incorrect, please notify us immediately and we will ensure that the story is corrected with the most accurate content available.
Disclaimer: As members of our local community, we at Beckerman Anderson, strive to draw awareness to the dangers that are related to driving and provide overall safety information for our community members. We are always saddened when we learn about a serious injury accident in our area and hope that through awareness, drivers in our community will take the necessary precautions to avoid such accidents. The information provided in these posts should not be misconstrued as legal or medical advice. This story is not a solicitation for business. The photographs used in this post are not representative of the actual accident scene.