Santa Ana, CA (June 06, 2022) – One pedestrian died and another was left in critical condition when they were hit by a car on Saturday, June 4th in Santa Ana.
According to officers from the Santa Ana Police Department, the incident took place at about 8:25 p.m. in the 4700th block of West 1st Street.
Upon their arrival, police and the Orange County Fire Authority located two pedestrians lying in the street. One was pronounced at the scene. The other was transferred to an area hospital with critical injuries.
An investigation determined that the pedestrians were attempting to cross West 1st Street when they were struck by a westbound vehicle.
The driver stayed at the scene and cooperated with the police.
Impairment has been ruled out as a factor but the cause of the accident remains under investigation.
We would like to offer our deepest condolences to the family of the deceased victim at this time. Our thoughts are with the injured victim and their family in hopes of a full recovery.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in California
There are many different factors that can contribute to pedestrian accidents in California. The most frequent negligent behaviors that lead to these incidents are:
- Distracted Driving: This includes using a cell phone to make phone calls or send text messages, eating, drinking, reaching for objects, or any other activity that takes a driver’s focus off of the road
- Drunk and Drugged Driving: Driving while intoxicated is a leading cause of road accidents statewide
- Driving too Fast: Drivers who disregard the posted speed limit often fail to notice pedestrians trying to cross the street
- Failure to Yield: When a driver fails to yield the right of way to a pedestrian or another vehicle at an intersection, serious accidents are often the result
- Failure to Signal: When a driver fails to use their turn indicators, a pedestrian trying to cross the road has no warning and can walk right into a car’s path
- Time of Day/Visibility: Most pedestrian accidents happen at night. Limited visibility and a higher number of drunk drivers make roadway conditions especially hazardous for those on foot
Contact our law firm today online or by phone at 949-409-4299 in order to speak with a skilled and experienced attorney concerning your case. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay nothing out of pocket or upfront. We only get paid if you do, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Note: These posts have been generated through the use of outside and secondary sources for Beckerman Anderson. These sources include news stories, police reports, and first-hand accounts of accidents and the injuries involved. As a result, we have not been able to independently verify all of the details surrounding each accident that we post about. If you see any information that is not factual or is incorrect, please notify us immediately and we will ensure that the story is corrected with the most accurate content available.
Disclaimer: As members of our local community, we at Beckerman Anderson, strive to draw awareness to the dangers that are related to driving and provide overall safety information for our community members. We are always saddened when we learn about a serious injury accident in our area and hope that through awareness, drivers in our community will take the necessary precautions to avoid such accidents. The information provided in these posts should not be misconstrued as legal or medical advice. This story is not a solicitation for business. The photographs used in this post are not representative of the actual accident scene.